Thursday, October 1, 2009

Action Hero

Not too long ago, I had a japanese man enter the store and attempt to purchase a pack of paper that was on sale. The sale was 500 sheets of paper for $1 after a rebate of $4. So he came in, picked up the paper, came up to the register, and pulled out a couple bucks. I scanned the paper, and it came up as $5.

"Ah, no - dissa papah on sale."

"Yes, Sir," I told him, "It's on sale with a rebate. You mail it in to get the $4 back. The rebate will print up with the receipt and you just send that in."

The man's eyes got real big. No joke, he grabs his money off of the counter and yells, "NO! DIS A TRICK!" and literally RUNS through the exit and out to his car.

I stood there for several minutes just staring at the exit door replaying the whole thing over and over in my mind.

Shopping tip of the day for 10/1/09: Don't take security measures personally. If the buzzer goes off when you're leaving, don't yell out, "I'M NOT STEALING ANYTHING!" We already know that. However, if you do things that could be considered suspicious, we're going to get suspicious. For example, if we see you climbing one of our ladders, we're going to watch you closely until you leave. Opening packages will get more than one eye on you. And if you're trying to wiggle a laptop out of the security bars so you can "see how heavy it is," expect us to be all over you until you leave the building. We know there are plenty of you honest people out there who REALLY DO want to see how heavy the laptop is, but for the number of scams and thefts we've seen over the years, we have to suspect everyone. So like I said, don't take it personally.

Instead, the best way to avoid such suspicions is to ask your question rather than trying to figure it out yourself. I know I've said before that customers ask a lot of stupid questions (and they do), but there ARE a lot of legitimate questions to be asked, too. There's nothing wrong with saying, "Excuse me, is there any way I'd be able to feel how heavy this laptop is?" or asking, "Can I open this to see how big the actual unit is?" Understand that sometimes the answer to your questions might be "no" for a variety of reasons, but again, it's better to ask rather than just take matters into your own hands, thus giving us reason to believe you might be up to no good.

No comments:

Post a Comment